Saturday, December 12, 2009

Advent day 14

Today I took Tanner, our dog, out for a long walk. It was the first time in over 2 months I have taken him on his long day walk due to this bizarre and unexplainable "recurring" illness I've been experiencing. Fatigue has been the great enemy so over-exerting myself has been a concern. Lately I've been feeling stronger and today was a reasonably free day and Doug was quite busy so I decided that it would be a good day to try and get my dog walking legs going again.
We had a church board meeting this a.m. and I had to run some errands so by the time I got around to figuring out the dog walk it was close to 2.00 pm. The funny thing is is that I started to worry about daylight. I knew that if I waited much longer I'd miss the daylight entirely and it was quite a beautiful day here in Stockholm so I wanted to at least catch the sunset. Additionally, I didn't want to walk in the dark for the majority of the time as I wanted to take Tanner to one of his favorite parks and I wasn't keen on navigating the trail in the dark.I had to laugh at myself, being so concerned about the light at 2.00 pm.! In the end, I caught the sunset from a hilltop not too far from our house and ended the walk in the dark. By the time we got to the water, where Tanner actually jumped in and swam after a stick! (that water had to be close to freezing), it was dusky. I loved being out again. Made me realize how much I've missed these times with Tanner. I listened to Michael Card's The Promise on my ipod and enjoyed strolling with my curious pup attached to my arm. I love watching him run and delight in the great outdoors. I do tire of walking him in the dark however as now when I take him out in the morning, it is almost always dark.
But today I was thinking about how I chase the light during this time of year. You actually begin thinking about the setting sun by noon because if you don't and you lose track of time, the darkness falls and you've missed another day.
Oh that the world would hunger for the light of Christ in the same way that we hunger for the light of day during the Nordic winter. I suppose that's one of our responsibilities as Christians...to make sure we shine the light of Christ wherever we are so that the light shines in the darkness and the darkness does not overcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment