Monday, October 12, 2009

Sweet Sweep

The Angels overcame their first hurdle on the way to the World Series on Sunday afternoon in Boston. Because the game was a day game, we were able to watch it live on Sunday evening. At one point the Red Sox were winning 5-1. I said to Doug, "Leave it to the Angels that the one game I get to watch at a sane time, they get blown out." We turned it off and flipped between The Amazing Race reality TV show and The President Cup golf tournament. A bit later in the evening I flipped back to check the score. It was 5-4 and things had gotten a bit interesting. I tuned back in just in time to see the runner on first get picked off to end the inning. Grrrr. Then Boston scored one more run in the bottom of the 8th. Oh well. I decided to watch the 9th just to see what would happen. 2 outs, batter up, with 0-2 count. I'm thinking, well, sweeping would've been pretty remarkable. Then Aybar got a hit. Then Figgins walked on a 3-2 count. Bobby Abreau fouled off 3 straight pitches then drove home Aybar. Now I'm going crazy in our living room in Stockholm, likely the only person in the entire country watching this game! Of course, they walked Hunter and suddenly the bases were loaded, with 2 outs in the 9th and Vladimir Guerrero is up, which is fine with me! I had to get on the phone with my dad. We were both so excited. On the first pitch, Guerrero cranks a hit and 2 runs score! Angels take the lead! My dad and I both yelled at the same time into the phone! It was awesome to be on the phone with him when the Angels made their comeback. We hung up and he said he'd call when it was over. I was loving it and cheering and dancing around as if I was there! All of the sudden a 3-0 sweep is in reach!
The Angels got the Red Sox out 1-2-3 in the 9th and when the final out was caught I was screaming and cheering and dancing around my living room! Doug just sat there and laughed and I was laughing at myself as well!
The phone rang. It was my dad. He was as thrilled as I was! Finally, we beat those pesky Red Sox in a division series. I hope this bodes for us against the Yankees.
Sadly, Doug's team was swept in the other direction. We'll have to wait for another year to see a Twins/Angels match up. I'm just hoping that some people in his family will now get behind the Angels since all of their teams have been beaten.
Go Angels. Go Angels. Go Angels. Go Angels. Go Angels. Go Angels. Go Angels. Go Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment