Monday, October 5, 2009

October

I love October. It is one of my favorite months of the year. Why? My birthday is in October. The autumn color blazes away in October. The sports are awesome: Baseball World Series (and my favorite team, the California Angels, have made it to post-season play again. I know that's not their name anymore, but the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is absurd. I'm sticking with California Angels), American football in full swing, and in my younger years, it meant volleyball season. I just love October. After a hot summer, the cool off feels good and it's fun to wear clothes with a cozy feeling. While I always mourn not being able to wear shorts anymore, I welcome the opportunity to don sweaters and fleece. I'm not a big fan of the hat and gloves scene so the real chill can hold off for a bit longer.Today was cold. We took Tanner for a walk in a nearby park and I had to wear a hat, gloves, and my warm jacket. But the color was so lovely. The sun was shining high in the sky which was a deep blue and the leaves were golden and red and beautiful. Tanner went swimming again. It made me shiver just watching him, but he loves swimming after a big stick.
We change the clocks at the end of October. That will be rude awakening as even now the afternoon light disappears rather quickly and the mornings are pretty dim. But for the next two weeks, the ivy will be red, the leaves will still hold on to the branches and I will enjoy the dazzling display of color and light that October brings. And, I'll be cheering for the Angels, hopefully, all month long.

2 comments:

  1. Jodi. You make me appreciate autumn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos. I have to get out! Time is compressing...

    ReplyDelete