Follow by Email

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Dad Update Thursday March 27

The trip was as good as it could've been with a reasonable amount of space on the plane (empty seat next to me) and great service from British Airways.  Stinking long ways however. I watched 4 movies and played a lot of Candy Crush and Spider Solitaire! By a stroke of luck or God's good grace, (wink) the friends of ours who are using our house this week were in LA yesterday visiting other friends and the timing worked out so they could pick me up at LAX and drive me to my dad's. What a blessing that was. Not only did it prevent me from having to drive 2.5 hours alone, it gave us a chance to have a good visit in the car. And we stopped at In-n-Out on the way home!  Nice.

Throwback Thursday...I adore this photo of my bro, my dad and me...
I must've been about 4!
I finally got to my dad's house at 11.30 p.m. which was 7.30 a.m. in Sweden. It was definitely strange for me to walk in and have it be empty. I got about 5 hours of sleep after falling into bed around midnight CA time.  I woke up and called the hospital and they said to come any time. So I got cleaned up and sorted out a few things and headed up around 8.00.  I am so thankful that the hospital is about 5 minutes from my dad's house.
I must admit that when I first saw him in his bed, I was a little taken aback.  He looked pretty ragged. He's obviously lost weight and it really showed in his face. Over the course of the morning, his color improved and he started to look better.  The biggest concern right now is a combination of extreme weakness combined with low appetite. He needs to eat but is so weak that even holding a fork is a big challenge right now.  But he nibbled at his breakfast and when the physical therapist came in, he willingly got up and walked around the corridor, which is about 300 feet.  I was very impressed with how well he did.  He was standing reasonably upright and the PT could tell that he was in pretty decent shape before the issues set in. He was of course, quite exhausted when he finished that. But instead of returning to bed, he agreed to sit up in a chair, which is also better for him than being in bed. Lunch arrived and he ate a few bites of soup and kind of picked at the lasagne. He did drink a small container of orange juice. After lunch he was really tired and chilled so we got him back in bed and I left him to take a nap while I returned to his house to do the same. I went back up around 3.30 and they were lining up what needed to happen in order for him to be discharged and we were soon leaving the hospital. The transfer to the car went pretty well and the transfer to the house was OK too.  We are both glad to be home but I am anxious to see the home health care nurse tomorrow and get a little more information.
I went to the store and stocked up on things that I hope will be easy to eat and provide some energy. We're enjoying the March Madness basketball and I'm praying for an uneventful night. The walk from the living room to the bedroom will be a challenge but I'm confident he will be able to make it.
He is really not up for visitors or for talking on the phone but I am answering his cell phone and the home phone so feel free to call those if you'd like to check in. Please keep praying for his recovery. I can see how that we're looking at the long haul as opposed to a quick bounce back. I am very thankful that it worked out for me to be here. No question that it's the only place I need to be right now.