Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fish Pedicure

I subscribe to Groupon, which is a great way to get big discounts on restaurants and experiences.  Recently, an offer came for a fish pedicure...hmmm, what in the world is a fish pedicure?  Well, you go to a shop, stick your feet in a fish tank and let them nibble away at the dead skin on your feet! I know, weird, right?!  Well, I couldn't resist having the experience so I went for it today! 
So I walked into the salon and found the fish tanks waiting for me!  The host told me to take off my shoes and socks, wipe down my feet with a towelette and then stick them into the tank where the swarming fish were waiting for a tasty treat.  Admittedly, as I hovered over the water watching the fish swim to the top, I had a moment of hesitation.  What in the world was this going to feel like?  But the die was cast so I plunged my feet into the tank.  The fish immediately found the rough spots on my feet and began to nibble away.
What did it feel like?  Well, it was kind of a tingly sensation and when the fish grouped together in one central spot at times, it was a bit ticklish, like a feather brushing across the bottom of your feet. 
Overall, I didn't think it was such a great experience.  The chair itself was a bit uncomfortable because you sit there with your feet just hanging in a tank full of water.  Additionally, the pedicure itself is not that great.  You don't get your nails shaped, of course, the fish don't paint them, and I would say your feet don't get as cleaned up as when you have a normal pedicure. 
So, the novelty of the experience was fun.  But, I would probably not do it again.  I'll stick with the pedicure delivered by the hands of humans rather than teeth of fish.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha haaa! I was oh so curious about this. A plain ol' pedicure nearly makes me feeling like hurling, so I can't imagine what the fish would add. :D

    ReplyDelete