Sunday, April 3, 2016

Finally, My Dutch Trip!

For a very long time now, too long for me to remember exactly how long, I have been wanting to travel to the Netherlands in the spring to visit places that I have always wanted to see. Haarlam where Corrie Ten Boom's family courageously protected Jews during WWII, the City of Delft, famous for its blue and white porcelain and the painter Vermeer, and the crown jewel of them all and why the spring timing was key, the Keukenhof gardens where tulips and daffodils and hyacinth cover the ground in the most spectacular fashion! 
Two years ago I was scheduled to take this trip. Then my dad grew ill and I had to make an emergency trip to the US. Two years ago today he died. So for me, it's very fitting that I am able to begin this pilgrimage to these long awaited places today. He would've loved to be on this trip with me but with me in spirit will have to be enough. 
The bonus is that I am staying with dear friends from our Stockholm days. We first met 18 years ago but our friendship is deeply in tact. They will accompany me, assisting me to fulfil this American girl's fantasy tour of the Netherlands! 
We have been lucky enough to be in The Netherlands a fair amount so I have seen Amsterdam and some other areas so this trip is reserved for these other spots. I am thrilled to be here even though the weather isn't cooperating. Rain. Too bad. But I am still here!
So I think today is Delft, the blue and white town! Perfect for me. My whole house is blue and white. Can't wait to take it all as I carefully cross these items off my bucket list.  



No comments:

Post a Comment