Friday, December 11, 2015

Another Running (5) Milestone

When the email arrived inviting us to a 6.00 a.m. (gasp) London Holiday Lights run on Thursday morning that involved two 25 minute running segments separated by a 5 minute walk, I think I hit the proverbial mental running wall. I had only run for 12 minutes straight before stopping for a 2 minute walking break so this felt overwhelming to me. Even so the thought of running through central London whilst viewing the holiday street lights appealed to me so I decided I was in and actually started looking forward to it...sort of. 
Well, it was quite the morning. Getting up at 4.45 wasn't all that fun but Tanner had been restless around 4.00 so I wasn't actually in a very deep sleep. Once up and dressed, I was ready to go so caught my bus at 5.30 and got to the start point just in time. Fortunately, it wasn't too cold outside.
I have to say that I'm pretty chuffed by the whole experience. If you had told me 4 months ago that I would get up in the wee hours of the morning to go for a 50 minute run I would've laughed in your face. And yet, here I was...going for it! And of course, the run did not disappoint. The lights were spectacular and it was such a treat to be there when no one else was! I'm half tempted to drag Doug out of bed some morning and go back just so we can enjoy the lights without the masses that inhabit these regions during the days and evenings. We hit all of the big streets, Oxford, Regents, Piccadilly Circus, Old Bond street which turns into New Bond Street. All were elegantly dressed in holiday light and it really was great fun!
My quads tied up a bit near the end and I was admittedly a bit tired throughout the day but I'm just so thankful for the wonderful group of women who encourage me to keep on keepin' on!The extra bonus was seeing daybreak over London as I wandered back to our house. All in all, it was about a 5 mile fun! What a great morning!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying London and being involved with these healthy and fun activities.
    Doug you get out their too.
    Maybe you would have been tired throught the day without the run and great companionship. Xo

    ReplyDelete