Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Desert Beauty

I love Palm Springs.  Oh yeah, you already know that.  But I am rarely there in August so I was surprised by how much is in bloom at this time of year. One of my favorite plants was the Mexican Bird of Paradise.  The vibrant orange and red flowers that stand up tall from the bush is a sight to behold.  These photos do not do it justice.  I was really taken by it while in PS earlier this month.  I couldn't figure out why it was such a surprising and tantalizing sight...and then I realized that usually we are in PS in February and the Mexican Bird of Paradise is not in bloom and then it just looks like a green shrub.  What a treat to experience such unexpected beauty.

The desert is so amazing...a little water and it grows like mad.  Contrary to what people might imagine, the desert is not a dead landscape.  Beauty abounds in flowers, bushes and those towering palms.  Oh, did I mention how much I love Palm Springs?

No comments:

Post a Comment