Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Short Days

Since Doug broke his leg, I've been on full time dog walking duty.  It's actually been a special time for me to sort my thoughts, get out in the winter wonderland called Stockholm and listen to Christmas music on my ipod.  The light was especially stunning today.
I took Tanner to Brunnsviken...a beautiful park area where the water meets the shore with forest all around.  We come here in the summer to swim. It was kind of surreal seeing it all winterized again.  I left the house about 2.30 p.m. and thought to myself, "Wow, not much daylight left."  I was right.  But in the day time I did have, I got to enjoy an incredibly beautiful sunset.  So what if it was only 2.50 p.m.  Tanner had a blast running around the snow and I enjoyed the beauty of this winter afternoon. I decided that since I was alone in the area, I would join the singing on my ipod and sang out at the top of my lungs to some of my favorite Christmas songs!  I'm sure it sounded awful, but my heart was filled with joy.
Darkness continues to descend for 3 more weeks.  But the small glimpses of daylight coupled with some incredible afternoon sunsets encourage my spirit.  It reminds me that even the smallest of light shining in the darkness brings joy and peace.  Isn't that what advent is all about anyway?  Except during Advent, it's the brightest of lights shining in the darkness bringing us joy and peace.  May those gifts be yours even on your darkest days.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, cousin! I enjoyed reading your blog - am very sorry to hear about Doug's fall, but chuckled at the ice crampons on his crutches. Hope he's not experiencing too much pain.
    Do you have a tried and true recipe for pepparkakor? I used to have one, but seem to have misplaced it. I do think of your mother each time I make Swedish rye bread - which was last week for Thanksgiving. We had a 29 1/2 pound turkey from a local farm this year - oh, my aching rotator cuff!
    I'm loving singing Christmas music, too - have Messiah performances, Advent Choral at church, and Nova Singers Christmas concert coming up these next 3 weeks!
    Love from Iowa,
    Barb Mullen Kuttler

    ReplyDelete